Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our Trip to the Salton Sea

So as part of our California adventure we decided to see some of the things we'd never got around to while we lived here. One of those things was the Salton Sea. Now you might be thinking, "Ooh, that sounds pretty cool" and if so you were just like us. But you (and we) couldn't have been more wrong. I guess we should have thought better of it when Papa Tinling (one of the more positive people we know), upon hearing of our plans to go said, "Ugh. Why would you want to go there."

Unswayed by the many reports of how crappy it was we decided to go anyway. One thing's for sure, we can at least say that we've been there. Don't get us wrong, if you're looking for a day vacation to a land-locked, salty lake in the middle of the desert with nothing to see but the "Salton City Beach" and hundreds of dead fish on the shore, this is the place for you! Since this was not what we were looking for, the highlights turned out to be the short stop in Julian for a hot apple turnover and the Salton Sea Marina Market where we got popsicles and endured the many stares of the "patrons" (one lady playing a computer slot and another lady watching and cheering her on her) and the owner (who was as surprised to see someone in her establishment as we were to find the salton sea to be as much of a dive as everyone told us). We laughed it off though and quickly made our way to the nearest service station to find a map of California and our way out of the purgatory that is the Salton Sea.

Palm Springs was the nearest place that resembled civilization so we were off. We enjoyed the eveneing there before departing and getting stuck in rush hour traffic made even more pleasant by the rain and hail that made visibility about 50 feet and blanketed the sides of the freeway like snow. All and all, it was a "special" trip and we had a good time.

4 comments:

Steffy said...

The picture of the pier is my favorite.. I honestly laughed out loud when I noticed it was a table. You guys are so much fun!

Christina said...

You're right... it's cute! I just wish the pics were bigger so I could actually see you guys, but it's okay because it's not like I never see you. And did you know that I went to the Salton Sea on that desert trip that I went on with Nichelle, Justin, and Brandon. I should show you my pics. Haha... it's way lame!

alli taggart said...

so funny! especially on the picnic bench!

The Johnsons said...

oh my goodness the kids are getting so big!! Congrats on Denver! We miss you guys!

Tinling Family Photo

Tinling Family Photo
The most up to date of Boo Morgan Tyler Caleb